...and he can see 'em all

NL Only Rotisserie Baseball observations...from the bottom of a league.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Home Opener


never have I been so blase about a Giants home opener as I am today. I usually have a rooftop party in SOMA, get lubed, and enjoy myself. But seriously, what is there to look forward to this year? Yes, my usual foursome will be there, and the beer at 21st Amendment will be flowing pre and post game. Yes, it is sunny, even as I write this at 7 a.m. from the notoriously foggy Sunset Neighborhood in SF.

I used to wake up and the first thought would be "Giants!" Now my first thought is "ugh....."

Sad state of affairs, but I guess that's what it took to build this ballyard and service that huge debt. Just hope my own debt service isn't so bleak....

Here's to 50 years of baseball in SF, and the original SF Home Opener in '58 with Willie.

"Willie Mays take the field for the San Francisco Giants
first home game on April 15, 1958: In front of a packed house at Seals Stadium (23,448 attendance), the Giants beat the Dodgers 8-0 as Ruben Gomez throws a shutout. Orlando Cepeda hit the first home run of his career in his second at-bat, setting the tone for his rookie-of-the-year season. Photo by Jon Brenneis"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home