...and he can see 'em all

NL Only Rotisserie Baseball observations...from the bottom of a league.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Hey brother, can you spare a middle?

If I had the gumption to stick with my original strategy, I would have had one starter (Vargas--who isn't consistent yet) , Izzy, and 8 middles. This year, the derth of starting pitchers in the NL in general, and in BABI in particular is at an all-time low.

But of course, the allure of Brazleton (I stupidly projected him to be like John Patterson recently) was too strong, and I'm still suffering from it. Even after Buckholz's gem yesterday *8.1 IP, 2 singles, no walks, no runs* my team era is just under 6. Still, I see light at the end of the tunnel, as every other BABI staff is getting hammered regularly and two more qstarts from Buckholz will get me in the middle of the pack, eventually.

Old Axiom (since 1993 - when the Rockies were founded)
- Don't buy a Rockies pitcher

Not so Old Axiom
- Don't buy a Rockies starting pitcher (take a shot on one of their closer candidates)

New Axiom
- Don't buy a starting pitcher from any of the following teams:
(Rockies, Reds, Phillies--except maybe Myers, AZ--except Webb)

I was in Columbus, OH last week and saw Harang pitch an absolute gem against St. Louis. He made Puljols look sick, which I had never seen before. If someone had offered me a trade for Harang that night, I might have done it. Since then, oh my.

Brett Myers is a helluva pitcher, but he has to be perfect EVERY TIME in that bandbox. Arroyo is having a nice start, but his second time around the league, in HIS bandbox will be another story. Aaron Cook, if he ever gets out of CO, would be a $20+ pitcher. For now, you can have him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home